Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Slow Ride

DH really wants a new car. Honestly I think we've had this conversation about a million times. Sure, I'd love us to get a new car. I've got an old Buick that has more issues than you can poke a stick at (I get one thing fixed and then there's something else wrong! It never ends!) and he has a 2004 Tiburon which he, and the previous owner, unfortunately haven't cared for very well. It's got body damage from an accident which hasn't been professionally fixed, and there's some strange vibration happening all the time, and it seems like more than just the shock absorbers going but we're not 100% positive.

So, a new car would be fantastic. And we both have the same taste in cars, so that's not an issue. But what I keep reminding my dearest is that his car in it's current state is worth about $5000, yet he owes about $12,000 on it. Trading it in for a new car just isn't feasible with our current budget. My car is also worth about $5000 and I don't have any repayments on it, but I've never financed a car in my entire life. I'm the kind of person who will save up my pennies for something and then buy it outright. My propencity to do this though has resulted in the fact that I have no credit. I've never wanted a credit card, or a loan, so I don't have bad credit, just no credit.

And I hate to say it but, DH has bad credit, he's sunk himself in deep over the last few years it seems. So between us, to replace one of our cars with a new car, we'd also have to put down a hefty deposit and would be on excessive repayments. My darling and I have discussed this over and over again.

But alas today he calls me from a car dealership wanting my permission for them to run my credit because he had found a new car that he wanted.

Of course, my credit wasn't going to help because like I said, I have none. So it wasn't approved anyhow.

I've told DH that if he can figure into our budget to afford a new car and additional insurance, go for it, but it can't eat into rent, utilities, or groceries. I find it difficult to say No, No New Car! And after all, it's his money, he's the one working, he can do what he wants with it as long as the essentials still get paid.

And here I am looking to the bottom line of finances again. Why is it all of a sudden such a big deal? When we were dating, I don't think money was ever even discussed, let alone a budget. I think all of a sudden it's dawned on me that I'm going to be a dependent for a while, and in my usual overly-organized financial mindframe it's resulted in me being a bit of a nagging old biddy.

Gosh I can't wait to move into our new house and properly start our life together. I'll be a lot less stressed for sure!

Anyhow I'll quit my whining. I'm out! :)

No comments: