Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Nothin Better To Do


Believe it or not, one of the things I'm really looking forward to about moving (apart from being married, of course!), is the fact that I'm determined that the next place I live has a washer-dryer hookup, and in an ideal world I'd like a townhome with some garden in the back so I can actually hang up my washing to air dry!

I have loved where I have lived in Missouri for the past year and a half- but I despise walking back and forth to the laundromat and spending $1.25 to wash, $1.25 to dry, and then worrying that the dryer is going to mess up my clothes. Consequently I'm now sitting here in damp jeans, trying to stretch them out because I left them in the dryer a bit longer than usual and of course they've shrunk. Oh what I wouldn't do for a clothes line!

Unfortunately my apartment complex doesn't allow us to hang our clothes on racks on our porches. Looks too messy or something. I can understand that. But now my bedroom looks like a harem with clothes draped to finish drying here there and everywhere!

Now I know this may be a strange train of thought, but it occured to me tonight that I never see Hills Hoist Clothes Lines over here in America. I took them for granted in every back yard in Australia. Now I want one over here in America! I miss the rusty creek as the breeze slowly pushed the hoist around, and I remember playing on them as a child, pretending I was a gymnast by swinging off the supporting bars. Wow I must have been a bored child. But I do remember it being fun all the same!

I'll have to do some research on the net as to whether I can even buy anything similar here in the US. There has to be something. I probably just haven't found it yet. But I highly doubt they'd know what I was on about if I went into Home Depot and asked for a "Hills Hoist"!

Speaking of line drying though, there is an entire blog about it here. To be perfectly honest I took line drying completely for granted until I moved to the US and found that the 'norm' seemed to be putting everything in the dryer.

I don't think I actually ever owned a dryer that worked back in Australia. And having worked for my State's electricity department (now privatized, unfortunately!) for 3 1/2 years, I was always anti-dryer due to the fact that they cost so much per cycle. That's one thing I've always been frugal about- electricity. One light bulb per light fitting (even if it requires 3), lights only on in the room that I'm in. I know some people may think this is strange and retarded. But nobody who's ever come to my apartment has ever commented on a lack of light or anything. It depends on the size of your place I suppose. I used a lot of candles though. I prefer dim light. Bright lights give me far too many headaches. Maybe that's from working in an office environment for so many years.

Anyways, that's enough of a ramble for one night. Wow. What's my world coming to? Blogging about laundry? Tsk! I must be getting old!






2 comments:

Eco Guy said...

Hi! Im an Aussie to living in the US and also found the no clothesline situation very odd!!
I did get one though through a company called Urban Clothes Lines ( www.urbanclotheslines.com )
They very very helpful and I would recommend them to anyone looking for a good old Hills hoist clothesline!

Tracey Zing PR said...

Hi,
I am working with the PR agency that is helping Hills Hoist launch in the U.S. and am here to save the day (well, at least do my part to save the environment) by passing along exciting information about Hills Hoist.

It seems as though you are one of the thousands of people who live in a community where line drying has been banned by the home owners association. I personally find this to be absurd!

But there is good news. Hills has several models of clotheslines that can be installed in your cupboard so you can still line dry.

Line drying is great for your clothes, the environment and your wallet. Yet according to a Pew Study published in 2007, 83% of Americans consider an electric dryer to be a necessity even though electric dryers are the second largest energy suckers in the home, second only to the refrigerator.

That is why Hills Hoist is launching a campaign in America to help change Americans perception of line drying. Hills Hoist is launching an amazing new website www.linedryit.com where people can log on and learn more about line drying, meet new people in the blog section, see which celebrities are going green and sign up for the mailing list to receive newsletters and information from Hills Hoist.

You can even get a Hills Hoist clothes line today at www.breezedryer.com. You can chose one of several sizes and models that is easy to install either inside your home or outside in your yard.

If you are interested in hearing more about Hills Hoist's U.S. launch, I can be reached at Zing USA at 323-469-9464.

Best,
Tracey