Thursday, May 1, 2008

Polyester Girl

My best guy-friend Ben, who I've known since I was 12 years old and is as close to a brother as I've ever known, went to a school in our hometown called ACGS (Anglican Church Grammar School, colloquially known as 'Churchie'). In 1998 I attended the 'Senior Formal' (aka Prom) with a friend of mine, and again in 2000.

In 2001-2002 I was in a relationship with another alumni from ACGS. So, Overall, I think that I'm more than qualified to share my knowledge of the school.

Honestly though, what the world is coming to has shocked me. Now, I think I'm a pretty tolerant person overall, but there are certain things in this world that I do not approve of. For instance, I think peoples sexual preferences should be left behind closed doors.

This article from my hometown's newspaper however shocked me. 8 Anglican Church Grammar School boys, wanted to take their homosexual partners to the Senior Formal! For goodness sake, back in 1998-2000, you were outcast if you didn't wear a black suit, I know for a fact, that 10 years ago, nobody would have even contemplated taking their gay partner to the formal. Let alone 8 of them!

Call me a traditionalist perhaps, maybe I'm not as open minded as I thought. Of course, their requests got over turned, but it's just proof that the world is changing in dramatic ways.

It's funny though, isn't it, I'm 24 and I'm already feeling old.

No comments: